A place to share struggles and triumphs, a place to bless and serve - but never a place to murmur or complain. 

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Alma 37 and the spiritual/temporal

Kersten and I must be on the same wavelength because I have been having the same thoughts and learning about the connectedness of spiritual and physical and how my bridling and control over one influences the other so much. I have been thinking about it through the view of concepts from Alma 37:6,33,37,40-47.
The thoughts start with, "....by small and simple things are great things brought to pass" then leads me to, "...teach them to withstand every temptation of the devil, with their faith on the Lord Jesus Christ." From there I find, "counsel with the Lord in all they doings and he will driect thee for good..." This leads me to the concept of a temporal Liahona in the time of Lehi (vs. 40-47) and the comparison of the words of Christ being the same type of "liahona" for Helaman and for us in our day. Verse 41 takes us back to the small and simple means idea and ties all those together by showing that spiritual and temporal ARE connected, that the words of Christ are our liahona today and that our faith is required for the liahona to work.
I end my jumble of thoughts with exerpts from Alma 37: 40-47: "And now, my son, I would that ye should understand that these things are not without a shadow; for as our fathers were slothful to give heed to this compass (now these things were temporal) they did not prosper, even so it is with things which are spiritual. For behold, it is as easy to give heed to the word of Christ, which will point to you a straight course to eternal bliss, as it was for our fathers to give heed to this compass.....do not let us be slothful because of the easiness of the way; for so it was with our fathers....if they would look they might live; even so it is with us. The way is prepared, and if we will look we may live forever."

No comments: